continued provides high-quality education to thousands of professionals annually in the fields of audiology, speech-language pathology, occupational therapy, physical therapy, early childhood education, and social work.
As 2020 comes to a close, the editors of continued's family of continuing education websites have rounded up their top course picks for the year.
Over the past year, continued has fulfilled more than 1 million course completions and added a new professional area—social work—to its family of professions. More than 700 new courses were added to the library this year, including Master Class courses, and all of continued’s courses transitioned to Zoom for a more accessible, engaging learning experience.
“continued’s learning spaces offer meaningful, relevant content to professionals in the fields we serve,” said Carolyn Smaka, AuD, editor in chief of continued's family of online continuing education websites. “This year in particular presented many challenges for these professions. We responded by adding courses on telehealth, self-care, infection control, culture competency, implicit biases, diversity, and more.”
2020 EDITOR PICKS:
From Christy Huynh, AuD, managing editor of AudiologyOnline:
- 20Q: Word Recognition Testing – Let’s Just Agree to do it Right!
- Grand Rounds: Tinnitus
- CI2020 Online CEU Courses: Three-part series
- Reducing the Influence of Implicit Biases for Healthcare Professionals
- Conductive/Mixed Hearing Loss: Otosclerosis and Other Causes
From Amy Hansen, MA, CCC-SLP, senior managing editor of SpeechPathology.com:
- Sleuthing for /s/ and /r/: Facilitating Strategies for Residual Sound Errors
- Overview and Assessment of Stuttering: What Every SLP Should Know
- Forced Into Telepractice With No Idea What To Do Next! The Ins & Outs to Becoming a Teletherapist
- External Cognitive Aids for Adults with Acquired Cognitive Deficits
- Using Montessori Intervention in Dementia Care: Part 1
From Fawn Carson, OTD, senior managing editor of OccupationalTherapy.com:
- Behavioral And Daily Challenges In Children With Autism
- Expressive Art in OT: Enhancing Creativity in the Clinic
- Work from Wherever: Ergonomic Tips for A Safe & Healthy Workstation Set Up at Home
- Pediatric Telehealth: Essentials for Creating a Successful Telehealth Program
- OT & COVID: How to Navigate a New World with Older Adults
From Calista Kelly, PT, DPT, senior managing editor of PhysicalTherapy.com:
- Treatment of the Complicated Foot
- Rehab Considerations for the Client with Incomplete Spinal Cord Injury
- Gotta Go Gotta Go! Bladder Control and Falls
- Impact of Motor Learning For The Child With Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Applications in Dual Task Rehabilitation From High Tech to Low: Covering the Range for All Treatment Settings
From Jessica Lewis, MEd, ECSE, managing editor of Early Childhood Education:
- The Ordinary Magic of Storytelling
- You Can Become a Biting Solution Expert!
- Positive Discipline Tools for Teachers: Alternatives to Rewards and Punishment
- Supporting Young Children through Change, in partnership with Region 9 Head Start Association
- Understanding Executive Function
From Katrinna Matthews, DSW, MEd, LAPSW, managing editor of Social Work:
- Disenfranchised Trauma: The Impact on Indirect Victims
- Coping with Grief During the Holidays
- A Pandemic of Loss: Coping with Grief
- Social Work in the Digital Age: Ethics and Risk Management Challenges
- Self-Care for Social Workers: Personal and Professional Supports for Sustainability
“continued’s learning sites offer meaningful, relevant content to professionals in the fields we serve.” — Carolyn Smaka, AuD, editor in chief
“continued's courses offer a balance of staying at the forefront of industry trends while also covering the basics, best practices, and topics professionals want and need to serve them in their daily, life-changing work,” Smaka said.