Virtual, work-from-home position. Work anywhere in the U.S. - Must be a U.S. Resident
We are growing! Join a team of 10 rockstar developers who support a company of over 90 people with industry-leading web applications in areas of subscription-based continuing education, simulation and training, ecommerce, content management, and more.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
We are continued. We are fast-paced, nimble, and laugh a lot. We all work from home offices in various locations across the country. We are dynamic, engaged, highly motivated and highly skilled. We are passionate about our work and our professions and we’re looking for another team member to join our cause. We are certified as a great workplace by the independent analysts at Great Place to Work®, and ranked #6 on the Best Small Workplaces in the US in 2019. Learn more about us at continued.com.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Our meetings are filled with sarcasm, laughter, and movie quotes. We share code on github and contribute back to the open source community, whenever able. Though we are virtual, we communicate a lot and have a tight-knit group. We pair, encourage test driven development, collaborate, and enjoy healthy debate here and are looking for someone who can thrive in that environment. A thirst for knowledge and passion for solving problems is what drives the team. Training and education is a big part of who we are, not only as a company, but also as a mindset. We keep up to date in our field via continuing education, conferences, etc.
ABOUT THE POSITION
We are seeking an innovative and engaged Senior PHP developer who is motivated, creative, and fun to assist in developing our custom CakePHP and Laravel web applications.
- Full-Time, 8a-5p in your time zone
- Work from your home office
- Company-provided MacBook Pro, Internet stipend, etc
- Must be located in the United States and be legally eligible to work for us
- Travel is required for an annual company meeting, and may be required once or twice per year for team or project meetings
- Minor and major application feature development
- Assist stakeholders in developing feature specifications
- Plan, code, test, and deploy new features/applications/projects/modules/plugins
- Troubleshoot application bugs and determine resolutions
- Optimize and refactor existing code to improve performance and reliability [http://goo.gl/Kp3W3]
- Suggest improvements, security needs, best practices, etc (your voice will be heard)
Self-management and time management are critical in this role. Without it, you will not be successful. Other requirements include:
- 7+ years experience with PHP, Modern Backend Framework (CakePHP, Laravel, Symfony, etc.), Modern Front End Framework (Vue, jQuery, Angular, etc.), HTML5, SASS & CSS
- A communication pro - must be able to explain technical issues to a non-technical person, pleasantly (we are always on Slack with stakeholders)
- Comfortable with writing, editing, and maintaining Unit/Feature tests
- Highly attentive to details, able to cross all the t's and dot all the i's and help review/fix others
- There is direct project oversight, but you are expected to take ownership of your work and your projects, establish deadlines, and communicate progress proactively
- Eager to research and learn in a self-directed way (always improving)
- Easygoing, fun, and a team player - must be able to comprehend highly-advanced forms of sarcasm
- A home office, free of distractions, with a high-speed Internet connection
- Experience with Test Driven Development (TDD)
PREFERRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED
Although not required, the ideal candidate would also have:
- Bachelor's Degree (or higher) in Computer Science
- An active github account with open source contributions
- A well thought out preference for Star Wars or Star Trek
- Working knowledge of xkcd comic strip or similar
We prefer a great/interested/excited programmer with less experience to an unmotivated or unengaged programmer with tons of experience.
Submit a cover letter with your resume that includes 1) why you would make a great addition to our team; 2) a favorite clip from youtube; and 3) your salary requirements. Submissions without this information will not be considered.