Virtual, work-from-home position. Work anywhere in the U.S. Must be a US. Resident
We are growing! Join and lead a new and growing IT Operations team that supports all corporate services including Help Desk, Systems Administration, Database Administration, DevOps, etc. across a fully virtual company of over 100 people. Reporting to the CTO, work with team members supporting industry-leading online subscription products in simulation-based education and professional continuing education categories.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
We are continued. We are fast-paced, nimble, and laugh a lot. We all work from home offices in various locations across the country. We are dynamic, engaged, highly motivated and highly skilled. We are passionate about our work and our professions and we’re looking for another team member to join our cause. We are certified as a great workplace by the independent analysts at Great Place to Work®. Learn more about us at continued.com.
ABOUT THE TEAM
We are growing fast, and evolving to meet the demands of that growth! Our meetings are filled with sarcasm, laughter, and movie quotes. Though we are virtual, we communicate a lot and have a tight-knit group. We collaborate, and enjoy healthy debate here and are looking for someone who can thrive in that environment. A thirst for knowledge and passion for solving problems is what drives the team. Training and education is a big part of who we are, not only as a company but also as a mindset. We keep up-to-date in our field via continuing education, conferences, etc.
ABOUT THE POSITION
We are seeking an innovative and engaged hands-on IT Operations Manager who is motivated, creative, and fun to lead our growing IT Operations Team.
- Full-Time, 8a-5p in your time zone
- Work from your home office
- Company-provided MacBook Pro, Internet stipend, full suite of benefits, etc
- Must be located in the United States and be legally eligible to work for us
- Travel is required for an annual company meeting and may be required once or twice per year for team or project meetings
- Build and support a top-notch team to support Help Desk, Systems Administration, DevOps, Database Administration/Development, and other IT Operations functions across all businesses
- Plan 12-month rolling IT Operations roadmap, and execute against it with your team
- Organize your team to support Product Managers and Dev teams in their respective project roadmaps
- Continually evaluate our hardware and software usage to ensure we are using best of class at an appropriate cost
- Continually evaluate how best to support a fully virtual company, minimizing risk to business through disruption of hardware or services while maximizing the security of our data
- Ensure effective monitoring of all business critical servers, systems and processes
- Work with CTO and Finance on budgeting and other financial support as it pertains to technical purchases and allocation of their cost
- Negotiate technical contracts and support key stakeholders with evaluations of 3rd party services, and their contracts, to support their needs
- You and your team will suggest and implement operational improvements, security needs, policies, best practices, etc
- You and your team will collaborate with Technical Leads to align on direction forward for DevOps functions
- You will start off as a team of 2 and be expected to take on some of the responsibilities of the current team member while your team grows, including standard help desk requests. You will be responsible for ensuring redundancy across support functions while you are a team of 2 and as you further grow as a team.
Self-management, team management, and time management are critical in this role. Without it, you will not be successful. Other requirements include:
- 2+ years of experience building and managing relevant technology teams
- Experience leading complex project initiatives
- A communication pro - must be able to explain technical issues to a non-technical person, pleasantly
- Experience supporting remote teams
- Experience maturing technical teams and processes
- Highly attentive to details, able to cross all the t's and dot all the i's
- Eager to research and learn in a self-directed way (always improving)
- A home office, free of distractions, with a high-speed Internet connection
- Easygoing, fun, and a team player - must be able to comprehend highly-advanced forms of sarcasm
- Working knowledge of xkcd comic strip or similar, is useful - but not required
PREFERRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED
- Strong preference to someone who has worked in a fully remote environment
- Bachelor's Degree (or higher) in technology-related discipline
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- Experience working with LAMP stacks
We prefer a great/interested/excited technologist with less experience to an unmotivated or unengaged technologist with tons of experience.
Submit a cover letter with your resume that includes 1) why you would make a great addition to our team; 2) a favorite clip from youtube; and 3) your salary requirements. Submissions without this information will not be considered.